Staff report

A kitchen fire damaged a house on Charleston’s East Side Wednesday morning.

Firefighters received the call to 7 N. Hanover St. at 7:06 a.m., Charleston Battalion Chief Mike Jaluzadeh said. The fire had spread to the cabinets, causing minor damage to the kitchen and filling the house with smoke. Investigators do not believe the house had working smoke alarms, he said.

Red Cross volunteers provided the four adults living there with money to replace lost food and clothing and temporary housing.